CHANGES IN YEAR XVIII - 2017 SEASON
Commissioner: Jason Goldberg, handles the day to day operations of the league including; website hosting/updating, Team Slack, conducting league polls, recruiting new/replacement GMs, updating the constitution, handling end of season activities and managing the league backup files & receiving/importing game results. If you want to assist the commissioner in any manner to help make the league enjoyable please do not hesitate to contact him with your idea.
GAME: The USFFL Year XVIII - 2017 Season will utilize the Strat-o-matic Computer Football game.
REQUIREMENTS: SOMFB Computer Version 2018g, 2017 Rosters, Google Email List, USFFL Slack & USFFL Discord Channel. There is a $4.00 USD per year fee to participate in this league. The fee covers the costs associated with the following league items: 1) championship and coach of the year plaques including insured delivery and 2) USF domain/website.
LEAGUE STRUCTURE: The USFFL is a "STOCK" team, continuous ownership league. All 32 NFL teams participate. There are no trades allowed. There are no Annual Player Drafts. Each Head Coach operates his own NFL affiliated franchise as carded by Strat-o-matic each year with no adjustments. ALL games are to be played live using the Net Play feature. Games are played typically within 2 hours. We play typically 1 game per week.
LEAGUE FORMAT: We will be using a 16 game regular season actual NFL schedule and a playoff system identical to the NFL. The league will use all NFL rules as it pertains to any tie-breakers unless explicitly written differently in the constitution.
SWITCHING FRANCHISES: The USFFL uses a ranking system to distribute OPEN teams. An OPEN team may become available if a Coach has been removed from the league OR if a Coach has decided to drop from the league. The ranking order is shown in the Head Coach Directory link of our USFFL website. Any Coach that switches teams will be placed at the bottom of the list. A head coach may switch teams by either 1) trading with another owner or 2) claiming an open team. The higher the head coaches name appears on this directory link, the higher your preference will be for claiming a new USFFL team. The overall object of this rule is to allow head coaches some flexibility & choice in switching teams over time and reward those existing Head Coaches that remain committed in the league for a longer time. Note: Trading teams during the Regular Season is not allowed, however; claiming OPEN teams during the Regular Season is permitted. Each time a Head Coach subs in for an OPEN team three times either during the Regular Season or Playoffs they will be able to move up the Directory Listings one slot. The commissioner will keep track of Head Coaches that Sub during the year.
LEAGUE SPORTSMANSHIP: The USFFL is about having fun - WIN OR LOSE OR TIE. This league will have a zero tolerance policy for any Head Coach that cannot respect their peers nor the rules of this league. All conflicts will be decided by the commissioner and his words are final. We have removed Head Coaches in the past for being rude and unsportsmanlike during games. Trash talking is encouraged as long as its done without crossing the line.
THREE PUNTS AND YOU ARE OUT!: Any coach in the USFFL that fails to meet three deadlines during the season will be instantly removed from the league. A missed deadline is considered an act of non-communication to both the commissioner and their opponent on any given week during the regular season and/or playoffs. If you cannot participate in any given week of play you must contact your opponent and the commissioner in advance to advise of your situation so a replacement coach can be assigned. Failure to communicate will penalize that coach a PUNT. Three PUNTS & you are out! In order to improve communication, the commissioner will distribute & update a telephone number directory for each Head Coach of the USFFL. The commissioner reserves the right if deemed necessary based on the situation and for the benefit of the league to remove any Head Coach with less than 3 PUNTS.
GUIDELINES/EXPECTATIONS EACH WEEK FROM EACH GM:
1) Games are to be completed by the deadline. If an extension is needed a request should be made to the commissioner at least 1 day prior to the deadline otherwise the game may be simulated. If you are having a difficult time reaching your opponent please try to use the telephone directory instead of email. If this does not work, please contact the commissioner at least 1 day prior to the deadline otherwise the game may be simulated.
2) The result POST file is to be sent via email to the commissioner by the HOST team immediately after the game is completed.
3) The NON-HOST team emails me immediately after the game has been played indicating the game has been played and the result.
4) I will send back an email confirmation to the HOST & NON-HOST teams indicating that I have received the results OR I will send periodic updates to the league detailing the weekly schedule and the results received to date including the current standings.
5) If you are playing your game on the deadline day, send me an email message indicating the start time and time zone.
6) The WINNING coach posts a game summary at the USFFL Team Slack no later than 1 day after the deadline.
7) A Head Coach who does not comply with 1 through 6 above will be moved 1 slot downward on the Head Coach directory link. The third infraction will remove the Head Coach from the league as per our THREE PUNTS AND YOU ARE OUT! rule. The commissioner reserves the right if deemed necessary based on the situation and for the benefit of the league to remove any Head Coach with less than 3 PUNTS.
LEAGUE OPTIONS TO BE VERIFIED PRIOR TO LAUNCHING THE GAME:
PENALTIES - YES,
PLAYER OVERUSAGE - YES - 150% (REGULAR SEASON) - NO (PLAYOFFS)
USE QB STARTER FILE - NO,
QB OVERUSAGE - YES - 150%
RUNNING BACK FATIGUE - YES,
HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE - YES,
LINEBACKER IN RUN CONTAINMENT - YES,
LOW-USAGE RB CONTAINMENT - YES
USE INDIVIDUALIZED FUMBLE RATINGS - YES,
DO NOT ALLOW EXCEEDING LONGEST RUN - YES
DO NOT ALLOW EXCEEDING LONGEST RECEPTION - YES
DO NOT LIMIT WR LONGEST RECEPTION - YES
EXHAUSTED RB'S WILL GET INJURED - NO
DON'T ALLOW QB'S TO GET INJURED - NO
USE SPLIT DEFENSIVE RATINGS - YES
DUMPOFF RULE - YES
UPDATED SACK RULE - YES
IN-GAME REST SYSTEM - NO
EMPHASIZE 6-RATED LBS - YES
GREAT PLAYER IMPACT RULE - NO
LOOSER SUBSTITUTION RESTRICTIONS - NO
EMPTY FLAT PASS = GUESSED WRONG - YES
USE VARIABLE FG RULE = YES
QB END RUN LIMITS - YES,
USE ACTUAL TEAM INTERCEPTION RETURNS - YES,
USE HISTORICAL TEAM PACE - NO
USE VARIABLE PASS INTERFERENCE YARDAGE - YES
CONSIDER FLAT PASS AS RUNS - NO
USE YARDS AFTER CATCH RATINGS - YES
INJURIES - MULTIPLE GAME INJURIES*
* WE COUNT BYE WEEKS AS A WEEK OF HEALING *
RULES THROUGH THE YEARS - USE CUSTOM RULES (2017 SEASON)
MANDATORY LEAGUE OPTIONS TO BE VERIFIED BEFORE KICKING OFF:
AUTO SAVE AFTER EACH PLAY - YES
GAME PLAY RULES:
Running Backs must play the position they are rated for thus, a HB rated
for HB and FB can play both. Any
formation that requires a FB/BB must use one, for example; the PRO
FORMATION requires a HB and a FB and does not allow two HBs.
2) Once your Starting QB is relieved by the back-up QB, he may not return to the game unless the substitution was due to an in game injury. Once your back-up QB is relieved by the third string QB, he may not return to the game unless the substitution was due to an in game injury. This will prevent the unrealistic use of QB specialist during the game, for example; bringing in your FP strong QB and then replacing him repeatedly for your SP and/or LP strong QB.
3) Nickelbacks that have a higher rating than their teams starting CBs shall only play when the defense called is nickel or dime unless one of the starting CBs is injured.
TIE BREAKERS: Any tie-breakers will be settled by using the real NFL rule procedures.
INJURIES: Injuries stated in the game are to based on the number of Weeks missed and not the number of games missed. We count bye weeks as a week of healing in the USFFL. The Commissioner will keep track of these injuries that are adjusted by a teams bye-week. The Commissioner and will post this list of adjusted injured players at the start of each week of play so the Head Coach & the rest of the league knows exactly when a player is going to return from injury. Injuries do carry over into the Playoffs.
RULE & LEAGUE CHANGES: New rules and/or new league format changes require 51% (17 of 32 Votes for) approval while changes to existing rules and/or existing league format require 75% approval (24 of 32 Votes for). The commissioner reserves to right to cast votes for any non-voting members and/or add/change/delete rules as he feels necessary.
USFFL SUPERBOWL: The winner of the USFFL 2017 SUPERBOWL - Year XVIII will be presented a plaque for their outstanding accomplishment. The plaque will be sent to the Head Coach in the off-season.
USFFL COACH OF THE YEAR: This tournament will be held for Non-Playoff teams only. Entrance will be given to those teams in the USFFL that have performed better than their actual affiliated NFL teams record in the same season. Tie-breakers will be settled by this ranking order: 1) Head to Head 2) Strength of Schedule and 3) Points Differential. Only current members can participate. If more than one team per conference qualifies the commissioner will create a playoff tree. The winner of the USFFL 2017 COACH OF THE YEAR - Year XVIII will be presented a plaque for their outstanding accomplishment. The plaque will be sent to the Head Coach in the off-season.